Friday, April 18, 2014

The Story of Us

Tomorrow is my seven-year wedding anniversary (wow where did the time go) and I wanted to write something about the man I love and how we became us. It's funny because sometimes I forget that there was just us before her (belle). Those days seem so long ago, and almost like a blur to me now. 

The short version of the long story is we both met in college. Like most cliche love stories begin, ours involves one unprepared girl + test anxiety + knight in shining armor = happy, over the moon girl! If that doesn't make sense, we met in our anatomy class because this lady didn't have a pencil to take our first exam with. I was freaking out because NO ONE had one I needed to borrow after asking at least ten people, but then the eleventh person came through and it was him. I still can recall that feeling of relief and gratitude I has as I started taking the exam. I was so thankful for him that after I finished, I returned his pencil because we've all either borrowed a pencil and never returned it or loaned one out and it was never returned back to us (which is why I didn't have my own pencil to begin with-I loaned them out, that's my story). 

At the next class is when I saw my knight and we started to talk. I asked him how he did on his exam and irronically, we both scored the same so me being a pompous butt I asked if he copied my answers? OMG talk about self-defense hehe. I was totally joking but got his blood pressure up with that conversation and hence made my first impression. I guess he liked it. For the next few weeks we talked in class about life and things such as music taste and our majors. We never got each other's names until two weeks later when this happened: I came into class and my knight was dressed very nice. I figured he must of had a debate or something in one of his other classes, but it turned out he had another motive. I immediately complimented his outfit and with his shyness, awkward body language, he muttered under his breath, "I just wanted to show to you that I can wear more than just a hoodie and a beanie". So he got all dressed up for me!!! For me!! OMG what a feeling. He then proceeded to ask me out on a date after his lab that day. How could I say no to him? I loved his shyness and something so sweet and innocent about him in that moment that I wanted to learn more about my knight to see if the "what if" could be a reality. 

Well, we never got our date that day. It had to wait until the following week. I stood him up bc his lab ran late and I had no idea where he was. Plus, we never got each other's phone numbers. I was bummed. The next day, fate found us again. Coincidentally, our classes we're right next to one another and this time, we exchanged phone numbers and apologized for the previous day. I felt horrible by the way for leaving him shortchained the day prior. After my class, I was leaving to go to work and I hear him calling me down the hill (stalker much) bc he accidentally deleted my cellphone number in his phone. Ugh! Okay here it is again! I thought it was sweet that he chased me down cardiac hill to get my number again. 

He called me over the weekend and I was working doubles so I never called him back. I made him wait. I knew he liked me so I was going to play around with him too because, I liked him as well. Let the flirt chase begin! Fast forward to the next week and our first date. I had to verbally give him directions to my house as he didn't know how to get there via memory. He found me and as soon as my mom saw him, she gave me a thumbs up. Love that I still remember her expression. We went to the mall like any typical 18-19 year olds would do. Now this is when I was like okay...all he had in his pocket was five dollars. That's not enough for a date! I ended up paying for my own dinner that night (I had some pasta dish and he had a pizza). Oh well. There will be others right? 

We came back to my house and watched "The Wedding Singer" and had some lemonade (yes I remember bc I told him to check me out to see if my butt resembled JLo). That's when he tried to kiss me and missed. I thought, wow how cute but no, this is how it's done. So I kissed him back and that was that ladies and gentlemen. November 13, 2002 was the day we officially became more than "just friends". We dated throughout college, became engaged while in college to the dismay of many because they thought we were "too young" to make such an adult decision and because we hadn't dated others in the world to know exactly if we truly wanted to "settle" with one another. Now I get that those who felt this way wanted to protect us from failure or hurt. I get their thinking now because if Autumn were to get engaged at 21 I'd be worried as well, but if Autumn is anything like her parents, dating multiple people isn't want she wanted. She'll want a person who is her best friend and whom she'll grow old with and change with together through all of life's perils. She wouldn't want to "see the world" alone; she'll want to enjoy those experiences with that person, that one who, deep down, knew they were special when she first layed her eyes on them. Plus, her parents have "old souls". It made total sense. 

April 19, 2007 is the day we got married. Nearly four in a half years after we first met and fell in love. Throughout the past seven years of marriage we've been through it all and have come out stronger than ever before. When I look at the life we've created together over the course of 11 years, all I can say is that I feel eternally blessed to have been one of the "lucky ones"; to spend the rest of my life with my soulmate and best friend. Yes, life has been difficult at times, our love has been tested over and over again, but God takes good care of those who believe. As I sit here listening to a mix that Matthew has made for me to describe his love to me, I look around at our daughters (the kid and pup) and our beautiful home and this life. I feel overwhelmed with so much love and joy and it takes me right back to where we began and that love I still feel towards this perfect man, my knight, my guardian, my keeper, my everything. I love you so much dear. Thanks for giving me "the good". Seven year itch, I think not!!! Forever and for always, don't change. Happy Anniversary! 

Sweet love: 


And one of my favorites: right after we said "I do":

Xoxo,

Trish 


No comments:

Post a Comment