Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Mommy-Daughter Day Date

Once a month I like to have a mommy/daughter day date where I take Autumn someplace fun and then we go out to lunch there after. Today we tried this play place up the road from here and it was a lot of fun for her. She did great running around, jumping on their small trampoline, building blocks and playing alongside the other kids. She really didn't chase or follow any of the kids around, but she seemed content just playing with the toys there and joining in when appropriate. I also noticed during our almost two-hour duration that when faced with an altercation (older kid talking/telling her something), she was very silent and annoyed some of the children. I also noticed something so beautiful, she was incredibly loving and kind in her own rite.

I also found myself wondering for a moment, "What would Autumn be like if she could speak full-fledged sentences, was able to have conversations right now, etc."? Would I still have the same sweet and loving child God gave to me? Most likely, but things would be different, she would be different and so would I. Thinking about the above also made me realize how happy and content I am to have the daughter I do, the little girl who listens when I tell her "no, don't do that", who waits patiently to put on her coat and hat, who thrives to learn and explore and who knows her boundaries for the most part. A little girl who is so beautiful to look at with her curly blonde hair and big blue eyes, who towers over most children her age, who always seems to be smiling whenever we go anywhere unless its Lowes then that's a different story.

I also find it very interesting when encountering other moms in public places like children's play areas or parks. It always feels like an awkward first date. I tend to be the "loner mom" as most of the play groups/places I've gone to there's always those moms who've been friends since their first-borns popped out of the womb. Being the kind of person I am, I always say hi and start conversations. I don't ask a lot of questions but I like to listen to other moms talk. It must be the therapist in me. I also noticed today that the play place we went to was more for the parents than the children. It was a place to let the kids run around while the mommies sat in their chairs talking, drinking their coffee, and keeping a semi-watchful eye on their kids. It's nice to see play places that allow moms to be able to relax while their kids play together. Totally worth the money I say, minus the germs though.

I decided to sign Autumn up for the Easter Egg hunt they're doing in a few weeks. I'm sure she will enjoy it as she likes to pick up things. I can't wait to see how she does but will be prepared for the worst as she is still young and does have a lot of sensory needs. I'm sure she won't want a picture taken with the Easter Bunny either and that's perfectly okay. I also signed myself up for a pediatric CPR/First Aid class as I've always wanted to become certified in childhood CPR. We do have a pool and heaven forbid, I want to be able to use it correctly if I ever have to be put in that situation. I am sure the class will be worth its weight in gold.

Otherwise, the rest of our day went well. Had a decent lunch, but I need to remember to never buy kids meals until she's older because it's a waste of money. She never eats anything I get for her while out unless its tortilla chips and applesauce. She also did very well in the restaurant. Despite not being entirely socially connected with others, she does enjoy going places and looking at the sights and sounds. I also enjoy experiencing with her as well.
(Don't mind my no makeup face)

Here's to tomorrow and hopefully warmer weather!

XOXO,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment